Austin Artists Against Apartheid Declaration
Austin Artists Against Apartheid is an alliance of artists based in Austin, TX who are committed to promoting justice, equal rights for all people, and the eradication of apartheid in our world. We are affiliated with the international alliance, Artists Against Apartheid. Our main mission is to spread awareness about the plight of the Palestinian people through art and culture, and to educate other artists about how to use their platforms to promote peace and justice.
The “crime of apartheid” is defined as acts “committed for the purpose of establishing and maintaining domination by one racial group of persons over any other racial group of persons and systematically oppressing them” (International Convention on the Suppression and Punishment of the Crime of Apartheid, 1973).
While crimes of apartheid are ongoing in Palestine-Israel, we will stand in solidarity with the call from Palestinian civil society for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS), and specifically the Cultural Boycott of Israel:
1. We support the call for international artists not to perform or exhibit work in apartheid Israel, unless in solidarity with anti-apartheid events.
2. We will not perform, exhibit, or otherwise participate in events sponsored by the state of Israel or institutions complicit in its apartheid.
3. We will not perform, exhibit or otherwise participate in events which deceptively suggest symmetry or shared responsibility between “both sides” for Israel’s ongoing colonial oppression of the Palestinian people and its system of apartheid.
The cultural boycott of Israel, as a key component of the global BDS Movement, shall be maintained until Israel meets its moral and legal obligation to recognize the Palestinian people’s inalienable right to self-determination by:
1. Ending its occupation and colonization of all Arab lands and dismantling the Wall;
2. Recognizing the fundamental rights of the Arab-Palestinian citizens of Israel to full equality; and
3. Respecting, protecting and promoting the rights of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes and properties as stipulated in UN resolution 194.
Austin Artists Against Apartheid
May 29th, 2014